1. Local River, a system by Mathieu Lehanneur for raising fish and plants at home.
2. In their design project “Microbial Home,” designers at Philips Design in the Netherlands created an ecosystem of kitchen appliances powered by methane derived from food waste.
3. Bacterioptica, a chandelier designed by Petia Morozov containing bacterial cultures that change the quality of the light.
4. The Halflife Lamp by Joris Laarman is illuminated by hamster cells modified with firefly DNA.
5. Moss Table, by Carlos Peralta, Alex Driver and Paolo Bombelli, makes use of the small electrical charge produced when bacteria consume organic compounds released by moss.
The Beauty of Bacteria